ALTA Board to Vote on Name Change for Indian Land Claims Committee
August 12, 2010
The American Land Title Association Board of Directors will vote on a name change for the Indian Land Claims Committee during its meeting in October.
The Board will vote on changing the committees name to ALTA Native American Lands Committee. Pursuant to Article XII of the Bylaws, members are to be notified 60 days prior to the Board meeting of the proposed change.
The committee has decided the ALTA Indian Land Claims Committee name has become outdated. In order to make the committee name more reflective of today’s terminology, the committee suggests that ALTA Native American Lands Committee is more appropriate.
In addition to updating a dated committee name, the following updates to the committee purpose and scope are suggested:
- Keep ALTA and its members apprised of new developments in the Native American Lands area through ALTA publications and other educational opportunities.
- Monitor Native American Lands legislation, regulation, case law, and ongoing litigation to determine its general impact on title insurance and conveyancing and to assist ALTA in developing official positions regarding Native American Lands.
- Recommend to the Board of Governors participation of ALTA as amicus curiae in Native American Lands litigation involving issues which might have significant broad effect on the interests of the title insurance and conveyancing industries.
- Develop standardized products suited to transactions involving Native American tribes and property.
- Establish liaison with Native American tribal and inter-tribal organizations to seek opportunities to work together to improve transactions.
Contact ALTA at 202-296-3671 or email@example.com.